Beni Mellal – President Donald Trump announced Saturday he is raising his newly imposed global tariff from 10% to 15%, effective immediately, one day after the US Supreme Court struck down the bulk of his sweeping trade measures as unconstitutional.
“I, as President of the United States of America, will be raising the 10% Worldwide Tariff to the fully allowed, and legally tested, 15% level,” Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform, calling the court’s ruling “ridiculous” and “extraordinarily anti-American.”
The move came hours after Trump had already announced a replacement 10% global tariff, signing an executive order from the Oval Office on Friday following the court’s decision.
The Supreme Court ruled Friday, by a majority of six justices against three, that Trump had exceeded his constitutional authority by imposing sweeping import taxes under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act of 1977, a law reserved for national emergencies.
Chief Justice John Roberts wrote that the president must demonstrate “clear congressional authorization” to impose tariffs, ruling that the 1977 law “does not authorize the president to impose tariffs.”
Three conservative justices – Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito, and Brett Kavanaugh – dissented. In particular, Kavanaugh warned the decision risked creating “chaos” over potential refunds of duties already collected. Analysts estimate the tariffs had generated over $130 billion in 2025, with French Economy Minister Roland Lescure putting the total closer to $185 billion.
Trump is now relying on Section 122 of the Trade Act of 1974, a separate legal authority that permits a temporary import surcharge of up to 15% for up to 150 days to address large balance-of-payments deficits.
Congressional approval is required to extend the measures beyond that period. The new tariff enters into force on February 24 with exemptions for pharmaceutical products and goods covered by the US-Mexico-Canada Agreement.
Europe eyes coordinated resistance
The 15% rate applies to countries that had previously negotiated trade agreements with Washington, including the European Union, Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan. Some major partners, such as China, Mexico, and Canada, are expected to see an overall reduction in the tariffs previously imposed on their exports.
European leaders urged coordination in response. French President Emmanuel Macron, speaking at the opening of the Paris agricultural fair, welcomed the court ruling but called for calm, saying Europe must pursue “the fairest rules possible.”
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz said he would seek “a very clear European position” before his planned visit to Washington. France’s trade minister, Nicolas Forissier, said retaliatory EU measures remained on the table.
Wall Street closed higher Friday, with the S&P 500 gaining 0.69% and the Nasdaq up 0.90%. The CAC 40 in Paris surpassed 8,500 points for the first time, driven by luxury and export stocks.
Trump said the administration would issue new “legally permissible” tariffs in the coming months, and announced the launch of Section 301 investigations targeting most major trading partners on trade practices grounds.


